The National Science Olympiad, or NSO, is a competitive exam for high school students held each year by the School Connect Online. The Olympiad allows them to assess their academic progress by allowing them to compete against students from all over the country. Students who compete in the Olympiad are ranked based on their performance. Based on these grades, students can assess themselves at the school, city, zonal, and international levels. Students who participate also receive a Student Performance Report (SPR) that provides a detailed performance comparison. This article is all about Science Olympiad which gives details about Science Chapter 3 For Class 2: Food.
Register for the international Science Olympiad now.
Science Chapter 3 For Class 2: Food notes
- Carbohydrates, fats, proteins, vitamins, and minerals are all components of our diet. These substances are referred to collectively as nutrients.
- To perform our daily tasks, we require nutrients.
- to help us grow, repair our bodies, and protect us from infections and diseases
- The food we eat is high in one or more nutrients, but no food contains all of the essential nutrients. All nutrients are required for energy, growth, and a healthy body. We should include foods high in various nutrients in our diet. A balanced diet is one that contains an adequate supply of all essential nutrients.
Carbohydrates are a source of energy.
Carbohydrates can be found in the following foods:
- Milk, yoghurt, and ice cream are examples of dairy products.
- Fruits include both whole fruit and fruit juice.
- Bread, rice, crackers, and cereal are examples of grains.
- Potatoes and corns are two vegetables.
- Sugars and other sweet things
Fats provide us with energy. Fats are necessary, but not in excess. Excess fats accumulate in our bodies and clog our blood vessels, leading to heart disease.
Nuts, cheese, chocolates, whole eggs, meat, oils and ghee are examples of fat-containing foods.
Proteins are a type of bodybuilding food. They aid in the body’s repair and growth. They aid in muscle development. Eggs, fish, milk, cheese, and chicken provide protein.
Minerals and vitamins
Vitamins and minerals help us stay healthy. They help to keep us healthy. They are referred to as protective foods. Milk, fruits, and vegetables provide us with vitamins and minerals.
Minerals are required for healthy bones and teeth.
Milk contains a lot of protein, vitamins, and minerals like calcium. Calcium strengthens our bones and teeth.
During the summer, we should eat a lot of fruits because they keep our bodies hydrated.
Vitamin C is necessary for immune system development. Immunity aids in the fight against infections and viruses. Citrus fruits, such as oranges and lemons, are high in Vitamin C.
- Water aids digestion.
- Water aids in the regulation of body temperature.
- The average adult human body is composed of 50-65 percent water.
Roughage is indigestible material found in grains, vegetables, and fruits. It aids digestion.
Cooking methods include boiling, baking, roasting, frying, simmering, steaming, and so on.
We cook food because :
A) Cooking kills germs and makes our food healthy
B) Food becomes soft and digestible
C) Food becomes good in taste”
Food preservation is the process of keeping food fresh for an extended period of time.
There are several methods for preserving food:
- Drying: Some foods are dried to keep them fresh for an extended period of time. Dry fruits, for example
- Refrigeration or freezing: Some foods are frozen to preserve flavour and nutritional value. For example, frozen peas
- Pickling: Pickling is another method of food preservation.
- Fermentation: Fermentation is another method of food preservation.
- Canning: Canning is a method of preserving vegetables, meat, and other food items.
- Sweetening: Adding sugar to a food kills germs. Sugar enhances the flavour of food. Jelly, for example.
- Salting: Salting dehydrates fish and some other food items.
School Connect Online offers olympiads such as:
1.National Science Olympiad (NSO)
2. International Mathematics Olympiad (IMO)
4.Artificial Intelligence Olympiad.
Prepare for your Olympiad coaching with the Olympiad Genius by interacting with one of the greatest educators from IIT, NIT, as well as other institutions!